Saturday, December 5, 2015

Our Trip to Washington - Day 5 - Novermber 27, 2015

I got up at 4am today to be ready for Karl and Isabelle to pick me up for the ride to Seattle, where Karl will be driving one of the floats in the Macy's Parade!  They were setting up in the Convention Center downtown and we had to get security badges to wear.  It was quite cold, but I was told that last year it was raining and windy, so at least we have nice weather for this year's Parade!

When the police showed up to escort the floats down to the street where they'd get lined up, Isabelle and I walked down and found a restaurant on the corner where Karl would be and went in to have coffee and English muffins (me) - Isabelle said she didn't want anything because "Mommy packed me snacks and juice".  When the floats arrived, we went out to hang out with everyone.  So many fun sights!

Isabelle and I had a little discussion about Santa Claus.  She told me that the people dressed like St. Nick were NOT the "real" Santa.  I told her that they dressed like him because they love him so much.  At the end of the Parade, however, when Santa drove by in his sleigh, Isabelle squeezed my arm really tightly and whispered, "Gramma, I think that IS the real Santa...he's not plastic!"

In case you're wondering, Ruth and Emaline did a little shopping while we were away and Grant did his own thing as well. 

We arrive when it's still dark

One of Karl's friends from his 4-wheeling group, gathered to find out the plans.

Daddy & Isabelle find his assigned float

Inflation commences

Complete!

More floats being readied.

















At the restaurant, having snacks and keeping warm

Isabelle and Daddy

Karl & Moose (another Timber Tamer)

Nash Metropolitan 4wd

More Nash Metropolitans





The Saint Bernard contingent



Each float got its own Marshal

The Sheepdog Soldiers



The Host Balloon

One of the many high school marching bands



I took this while he wasn't watching

These guys were some of my favorites









Karl's float





Isabelle covered her ears when the "men in skirts" played their bagpipes






The duck was Isabelle's favorite







Here comes Santa Claus!!!

We warmed up after the Parade at a Starbucks.  Gramma's gloves on Isabelle's cold feet.

While we waited for Daddy, Isabelle collected acorns for the birds

When Daddy arrived, we walked down to the Public Market to a place called The Pike Brewery where Isabelle had macaroni and cheese (the best in Seattle, according to Karl), Karl had a mushroom burger and a "Kilt Lifter Ale", and I had a salad and the most delicious bowl of Crab Chowder!  Grant had let me borrow his cell phone so I could use the map feature, and when we got back, he told me that Isabelle and I walked a whole 2.8 miles!!!  What a trooper she is!


No comments:

Post a Comment